Saturday, August 9, 2014

Cake and Ice Cream!

If you follow me on Instagram or Twitter (@cliophineas), you'll know that last night, I was utterly thwarted in my attempt to sew a Bombshell swimsuit. I've cleaned and organized the whole Craft Lounge but there's no sign of my mysteriously vanishing swimsuit elastic. The last time I mysteriously lost something, it turned up 2 years later out of nowhere. Egad.

Anyway, it's been a while since I've blogged about any baking or cooking projects. And since I spent most of last Saturday in the kitchen for Phin's birthday feast, I thought I should put these two tried and true recipes out there.

Phineas is not a big cake lover, and we had decided that root beer and creamsicle floats would be his birthday dessert. But since his family - um, all of them - decided to come for dinner at the last minute I thought we should have cake, too. So, I pulled out Patisserie at Home by Will Torrent, an Xmas gift from Phin.  


The Chocolate and Beer Cake is fast becoming a favorite thanks to a combination of ease and awesome results. It's a super moist loaf cake that, thanks to the addition of some dark chocolate, has a gooey fudgy bottom layer. All it really needs is a dusting of powdered sugar and maybe a scoop of vanilla ice cream. 


Chocolate Beer Cake

Don't be fooled by this cake's humble looks. It is a real winner - moist, tender and chocolaty. Thanks to it's moistness, this cake is just as good after a few days, although I doubt that it will last that long if you make it.

Chococolate and Beer Cake by Will Torrent 
(here for metric recipe, below for those who prefer cups and degrees)
1 stick salted butter
1/2c lager, like Stella Artois
1c self rising flour
1/3c cocoa powder
1/2tsp baking soda
2/3c sugar
1/3c milk
1 egg, beaten
1tsp vanilla
1 1/2oz dark chocolate broken into pieces
Preheat oven to 350 and grease loaf pan lined with parchment. Warm butter and beer in saucepan on low until butter melts. Set aside. Sift flour, cocoa and baking soda together. Add sugar, milk, egg, vanilla, chocolate and beer mixture. Stir to combine. Bake for 50 min until a skewer comes out clean. Cool for 5-10 min in pan before turning out.
Since we had ice cream and Orange Fanta leftover, Phin and I had post-work out creamsicle floats on Sunday afternoon. Homemade ice cream really is delicious. I used David Lebovitz' Philadelphia Style Vanilla recipe. Since it has no eggs, the hardest part is remembering to freeze the core of the ice cream machine a day in advance.


Day after ice cream floats.

You can find the recipe here. I like to churn the ice cream about 1-2 hours before I plan to use it so that it has a bit of time to firm up in the freezer. It's creamy and loaded with vanilla flavor. 

Have a great weekend - I hope there is something sweet involved!  We're off to a house warming pool party today.

14 comments:

Clio said...

Re: the errant elastic. Don't give up. Last summer, I lost my beloved wrist watch. Looked everywhere. Finally decided that I had scooped it up with a bunch of trash on the coffee table. Was given a new one for Christmas. No that's not the moral of the story. This May, I put on a pair of shorts and voila! the watch was in the pocket of those shorts. I'm obviously very absent-minded.

Clio said...

Ohh! I just found the elastic!!! Woo hoo hoo!

Clio said...

Whoa! That cake sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing! And I'm glad to hear the elastic turned up!

Clio said...

Yum! I can already hear the comments about wasting beer in a cake though! Those fanta 'spiders' look awesome.

Clio said...

Happy Belated Birthday to your hubby. I am not a cake lover, especially when there are loads of toppings. However, that right there in all its humbleness.. would make me dive right in... looks delicious.

Clio said...

Thanks for the recipe! I make guinness brownies in the winter and I'm looking forward to trying this recipe as soon as the weather cools enough to turn on the oven!

Clio said...

We used to make a delicious sherbet that used Orange Crush, Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk, and canned crushed pineapple. Let me root around for proportions ... here you go:
ORANGE, PINEAPPLE SHERBET (HOMEMADE)
Printed from COOKS.COM
1 (3 liter) orange soda
2 cans Eagle Brand milk
1 can crushed pineapple
Rock salt
Ice cream maker
1 lg. bag ice
Mix orange soda. Eagle Brand milk and pineapple in an ice cream maker. Put on lid. Add ice, rock salt; repeat.


Sadly, no mention anywhere of what size can Eagle Brand or pineapple. Easy, exceptionally sweet, delicious.


And happy birthday wishes to Phin.

Clio said...

Yay! I had an elderly friend who misplaced her teeth for two weeks. She'd stuck them in the pocket of her Sunday-go-to-meeting dress on the way home from church; forgot to retrieve them before hanging the dress back in the closet.

Clio said...

Ooh! What fun! I'm always looking for fun recipes for the ice cream maker.

Clio said...

Well, it's not that much beer and I did offer him the rest, which was a good strategy!

Clio said...

Neither is Phin. But this is a great stand-on-it's-own cake - not fussy, needs no icing, very tasty.

Clio said...

oooh, yummy! chocolate and guiness is a great combo!

Clio said...

same here! I thought I was losing my mind with the elastic!

Clio said...

Oh, once I had to help my grandmother search for hers.... (housecoat pocket)


Yes, my elastic was exactly where it was supposed to be but had gotten stuck between two bra cups that had nested together. ;-)